Sunday, August 9, 2009

Parent Visit Day One: DOSA

My dad had never been to DOSA, and since it's within walking distance of our place, it was a no-brainer to make it the first dinner of their visit. After stopping to hear some kick-ass Taiko drumming at the Japantown Festival, we walked on over, stomachs grumbling, and happily got to ordering. We all had delicious food (the only kind they have there) but there were definitely some highlights:













On the left is the Organic Greens and Mango Salad. It normally comes with goat cheese, but since that is gross, I left it off. :) The toasted walnuts are just a tad bitter, which pairs well with the sweet cilantro dressing. I love this salad. The other was my dad's order of Bhel Puri. I first had this dish on the streets of Dehli, and I love how the bright onion and cilantro bring out the flavors of the green mango, chickpeas and puffed rice. It's very fun texturally and the flavors really pop!

And then, of course, there's the namesake:

This is the standard Masala Dosa and nobody makes a creamier potato and cashew filling, a more exciting (mmmm, hot and spicy) rasam, or a cooler coconut chutney than Dosa. I love when this big grin of a meal appears before me. It really is one of my favorite things to eat in San Francisco.

Today we've got more good eats on the agenda, including a super special underground dinner and concert. Can't wait to tell you all about it soon...

No comments: