Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Day in the Life...

I started this blog, in part, to address the age-old question that vegans must answer all the time: "But, what do you eat?" Oh, how I loathe that question. As though one must slaughter or suck the teet of some animal in order to be well fed. Sigh. I hope that by writing these posts of mine I've answered that question, and maybe even inspired some folks to try more veggie dishes along the way. I realize, however, that I've actually answered the similar but different question "But what do you eat when you go out to restaurants?" As much as I wish I did, I actually do not eat all my meals in restaurants. So, since today was a good example of typical at-home eating, I thought I'd let you into my kitchen and show you how it goes down.

First up is breakfast. The large majority of my breakfast is fruit. Fruit with some ceral and hemp milk is a staple, as is fruit just by itself, sprinkled with ground flax seed, but today I went with raspberries and coconut milk blueberry yogurt. The two berry flavors played off each other nicely, and the yogurt was just sweet enough to cut the tartness of the raspberries. Not pictured: Big mug of organic, fair trade, decaf coffee. Good morning indeed.

For lunch I almost always have a big - like really big - salad. The usual suspects of lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and sprouts are always on board, and then I add a heartier ingredient. Some baked tofu perhaps, maybe some kidney beans.... and I love cubed and roasted beets, squash, or sweet potato. Today the winner was a package of Field Roast slices which I just cut into tiny cubes and sprinkled on top. I took the picture before I dressed it with a little bit of Annie's Papaya Poppyseed Dressing. Yum.

Afernoon snack was a banana. Surely you know what those look like, so let's move on.

For dinner I usually make a cooked something or other involving large amounts of green veggies. Today I put a cup or two of brown rice in the bottom of a big bowl and filled it up with steamed kale. Then I sauteed some onions and garlic in a little bit of Imagine portobello mushroom soup. When they got tender, I added two sliced up portobello mushroom caps, some salt and pepper, and sauteed a little longer. Finally, I added the rest of the soup container and let it cook together with the veggies and 'shrooms for a while before pouring the whole pot over the kale and rice. Steamy, hearty, and delicious!

So there you have it. Not nearly as interesting as what the great chefs of the world can create, but it gets me through the day. Speaking of great chefs of the world, don't forget to watch Top Chef Masters tomorrow night. It's the first ever vegan challenge, where the chefs must cook for the awesome Zooey Deschanel, who is also soy-free and gluten-free. I can't wait to see what they come up with and just hope veganism is portrayed in a positive light.

And, finally, you have only two and half more months to make your donation to Farm Sanctuary through my Walk for Farm Animals donation page, so act fast! :)

No comments: