Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Fruits of Summer

It was a weekend without any restaurant experiences, but we had plenty of good meals all the same. We had friends in town, and even though they went to a wedding with great food, they decalred that this fruit salad I made for brunch on Saturday was the best meal of the weekend. I generally make "mono-meals" of fruits, meaning I'll eat one kind at a time, so a fruit salad was not something that came too naturally for me. However, it being summer in the Bay Area and all, I knew I couldn't miss if I just went to Rainbow and picked what looked best. In this case, that meant the following: Ripe golden pineapple, juicy strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries, the most seductive yellow peaches, plump red grapes, fresh figs that would blow your mind, and 3 giant mangoes. The latter turned out to be be not so ripe, so only a bit of the flesh ended up in the salad, BUT I squeezed the juice of all the mangoes onto the fruit salad, and it had the effect of sweetening the whole bowl as though I had added sugar syrup. This was so intensely yummy, and I feel very proud of how it turned out. Therefore, my vegan favorite for today is fruit salad. Vegans and others alike, go enjoy the fruits of summer while they last!

No comments: