Monday, March 16, 2009

Underdog

In putting together my forthcoming list of the best vegan eats in San Francisco, I've been hitting a lot of places that I've always wanted to go to but haven't. This week? Underdog.

Let it be known that the first meat analog I ever had was a veggie dog, but while they have a special place in my heart, I don't eat them too much anymore. This vegetarian has evolved over the years to prefer actual vegetables to facsimiles of the carnage of her past. That being said, every now and then, a hot dog, slathered with mustard and kraut is just what one needs to get through a cold and blustery San Francisco day. In that case, I suggest vegans and others alike head on over to Underdog.

This closet-sized treasure trove of all things hot dog (or sausage or kielbasa) serves up some of the yummiest vegan dogs in town, and the side of choice is tater tots. Not just any dogs and tots though: These are top-notch organic food items. In my case, I got the Vegan Beer Bratwurst on a whole wheat bun, which I covered in kraut and stoneground mustard, served alongside the most perfectly cooked and tasty tots I ever did have. Since seeing is believing:

Whenever the craving for a bread-enclosed, pipin'-hot, cylindrical, meat-like item hits ya, I highly suggest getting your booty to Underdog pronto. I guarantee it'll hit the spot every time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the suggestion Sky! Yum! :-) We'll have to stop by Underdog soon!

If you get up to Sonoma County, try Peter Lowell's in Sebastopol (http://www.peterlowells.com/). It's got a nice artsy atmosphere. We just went there for breakfast and it was amazing. Not much for vegans, but what they do have is so tasty. Get the tofu scramble w/potatoes and salad (comes with I believe). They also make their own ww bagels, which are vegan and serve them with blackberry lavender jam, ohh mama! (the jam is highly recommend (it's from: http://www.gabrielfarm.com/home.html).

Seed in Santa Rosa also just started up their brunches again (http://www.seedrestaurant.com/). Steve and I went there for our 1 year (dating) anniversary last weekend. Oh it was good! Among other things we had mushroom quiche, benedict, kale salad (w/peppers and pine nuts, yum). But the most amazing was the "tapioca" pudding with pineapple and mango, but the tapioca was really chia seeds, so yummy! Also a raw/live cinnamon roll with caramel and pecans. We both did not eat dinner that night, it was crazy good.

Love the blog and photos! Keep it up! TTYL! :-) Cathy

Sky said...

Thanks so much for all the tips, Cathy! Whenever I'm up near Santa Rosa, I always go to the East West Cafe, but I'll definitely be trying Seed next time. Gabriel Farm looks like a great place to visit too, so I'm adding that to my list as well.

Thanks again!

Ben and Ang said...

this looks awesome!