Sunday, March 15, 2009

Arizmendi Bakery

I haven't been feeling 100% lately, but I found something to lift my spirits, if not my immune system: Arizmendi Bakery's Fig and Fennel Sourdough.

Being a touch under the weather, I almost canceled a walking date with a friend of mine on Friday, but as I was trying to figure out if I had it in me to go, I was also looking on the internet at some of the places in her Inner Sunset 'hood. When I realized that Arizmendi was an easy target, I knew I had to go. Friends have raved about the (mostly) organic breads here, but what really swayed my decision was that the Fig and Fennel bread was only available on Friday! This particular combination of sweet and savory is one of my favorites (hence my famous fig, fennel, and pistachio salad), and I couldn't wait to try it. I was also on my way to a meeting after our walk so I knew I could share the loaf, thereby eliminating all danger of me eating the entire thing.

Well... the meeting was canceled. Taking the loaf home, I tried to figure out things to do with it - a sandwich? toast it? olive oil and salt? slather with Earth Balance? In the end, I decided to try it plain. Instantly, I felt sorry for the other days of the week, for they do not get to contain the greatness of Friday's offering. So yummy. Figs, fennel seeds, a bit of sourdough tang - they all marry together perfectly. So, yes, the loaf is gone now, but I had some help from the husband, I swear!

Arizmendi is a definite winner. I mean, with breads like Kalamata Olive Sourdough (Wednesday), Molasses Spelt Bread (Thursday), and Sesame-Sunflower Bread (Saturday), vegans and others can rejoice in all things carbohydrate every day of the week. Except on Mondays. Mondays they're closed.

1 comment:

JessBess said...

Glad you liked the fig & fennel bread and that you had extra time to enjoy it on Friday! I'll have to pick up a loaf soon :-)