Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Beretta

I may have a new favorite restaurant, everyone. And I don't say things like that lightly. When I walked past the doors of Beretta a few weeks ago, the menu caught my eye, and when I saw that they offered vegan cheese on their pizzas, I knew they had the potential for greatness. I did not expect, however, that within this gorgeous spot I would find the best pizza I've had since going vegan. Oh my goodness:

This funghi pizza with vegan cheese tasted just like some of the best NY/NJ pizza of my youth, with a tomato sauce simultaneously sweet and spicy. The mushrooms were perfect, and I don't know what kind of "cheese" they used, but it was amazing. I will dream of this pizza until I eat it again.

But that's not all! They have a ton of antipasti that are vegan as well, including the herbed onion bread, and this divine eggplant caponata (just hold the burrata):

I am already trying to develop a scheme which brings me back here sometime soon. It's warm, welcoming, stylish without being to hipster, serves amazing Italian food, and, well, I just fell in love. All the "others" I dined with were enamored as well, so bring the whole gang. Only drawback is that they don't do reservations, but you can call ahead to get your name on the list. We called in about 45 minutes before we arrived and were able to sit right down when we got there because of it. My OpenTable love aside, Beretta is sitting pretty at the top of my SF fave's list right now. I can not wait to go back. Join me, won't you?

3 comments:

Ben and Ang said...

ooh, the pizza sounds delicious too!

Joselle said...

Wow, that looks like cheese!

Sky said...

It was sooooooo good.