Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ingredients for a Great Super Bowl

I love football. And yet, as I write that, I find myself wondering how many other vegans feel the same? Generally speaking (and I loathe generalizations) we are a peaceful people, us vegans. We're not exactly prone to head-butting, body-slamming, trash-talking, and touchdown-scoring. I blame my infatuation with the game on my high school marching band, which required I be in attendance at every single football game for 4 years. But even before that, I have fond memories of coolers of food and gathering with my friends and family to yell our heads off. Being from NJ, we are Giants fans. This has meant a fair amount of disappointment over the years, I'm sad to say. However, last year was one of complete redemption in which we actually won the big dance! (And against the Patriots of all teams, making for a victory sweeter than vegan icing). This year... well, not so much. But that doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to Sunday. This, my friends, is because the Super Bowl is about far more than football: It is about guacamole.


Guacamole is one of those foods I just can't get enough of, and paired with some chips (I like a combo of white and blue corn best), it is the perfect game nosh. Every year, I make my famous version of this dip, and I'll do it again this year. All 12 of those beautiful organic avocados in the picture above will make their way into a big bowl and meet up with fresh cilantro, red onion, garlic, lots of salt and lime, and a few other things I like to keep to myself. (Ok, you twisted my arm: cayenne and cumin).

For some people, it's all about the wings (for flying, not frying, imho) or pizza (death discs) but for me, it's the guac. All the others at my Super Bowl gatherings love it, and I highly recommend you enjoy some yourself this Sunday, preferably with a nice vegan beer. I toast to you, all those who like football anyway, vegan and others alike.

2 comments:

Andrew Bellware said...

"Death Discs"! ;-)

Sky said...

I think that should be the name of your next movie, Andrew!