Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanks"living"

As someone who loves food, Thanksgiving is right up there on my list of favorite holidays. I'm still in a bit of a food coma - mainly because I just had an early dinner of leftovers - so I'm going to keep this short and just share the menu and some pictures. By the way, all the links are to the actual products I used.


I set the table (including some vegan chocolate turkey place holders) for our small gathering early and then started baking oatmeal chocolate chip banana cookies. When those were done, it was time to start getting the tofurky ready. I didn't make one last year, so I'm not sure when the basting liquid recommendation on the box changed, but the one they have now with the sage and soy sauce is so yummy! We started our meal with a fig, fennel, and pistachio salad in raspberry vinaigrette.
Honestly, it was awesome, and I could have been happy eating only that. But this is Thanksgiving of course, so also on the menu were mashed potatoes made with soy milk and earth balance, roasted brussel sprouts and carrots, stuffing, and cranberry sauce. And of course it all got a healthy dose of gravy.












For dessert, we had pumpkin pie a la mode with whipped cream. Oh, and of course those cookies we made earlier. Yum. It was a great day, and continues to be a great weekend. It's hard to believe, but I actually have dinner plans coming up, so I'll be back to the restaurant talk soon. The eating season is truly upon us. Enjoy... and be thankful. I know I am.

6 comments:

Joselle said...

Looks like you had a wonderful and delicious Thanksgiving. Everything sounds amazing.

I've never really done brussel sprouts so your menu inspired me to buy some this weekend. I'll let you know how they turn out!

Sky said...

Brussel sprouts are my favorite this time of year. I cut them in half and steam them a bit first. Then I sautee them flat side down in a bit of olive oil, coarse salt and pepper until they brown up. Easy. They're also good done in a similar way but with garlic and red chili flakes, using sesame oil instead of olive. Let me know how you make yours!

Joselle said...

I wrote down your methods and am going to cook me up some sprouts tonight! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

You are the second person (you can guess the first) who loves brussel sprouts... i have never had one before.

You had me at oatmeal chocolate chip banana cookies.

Sky said...

Amanda, the fact that you have never had a brussel sprout hurts my heart. Please remedy this soon.

Anonymous said...

Feed me one!!!