Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Nothing To Do With Food


I woke up this morning so overcome with excitement that I nearly jumped out of bed. Prop. 2, guaranteeing better conditions for farmed animals, easily passed. So there was that. But my god, there are no words to describe the emotion - somewhere between elation and soaring gratitude - that I felt watching Barack Obama become our president-elect. Second to my wedding, it was the happiest moment of my life. So, my poem for today, which I jotted down as I was getting ready this morning goes like this:

11.05.08

walking around trying
not to touch anything - like

it might break -
the
world's fragility
brought on by it being
so

damn

good

As this joy really sinks in, so does the sad realization that much of our country is still sickeningly homophobic. So, while race relations seem to be at least a bit better, there is still much work to be done before we are all truly equal. However, in this moment, I am focusing on the joy, hopeful that there is more to come.

(Don't worry, a joyful girl's gotta eat. More on that soon...)

2 comments:

ksparrowmd said...

Hey Sky,
I'm glad I was able to remember your blog name!
I've gone vegan, as has my husband. Long story. But I had a question for you since you've been at this for so long.
What do you think about the whole "phytin" problem with beans and soy? Do you soak your beans for 48 hours?
If you don't have an opinion that's okay. It's just that since reading about the possible downsides of unfermented soy and beans I don't seem to be eating them as much.
Hope you had a great summer and vacation!
Kristen

Sky said...

Hi Dr. Sparrow!

I don't even know what this phytin problem is. I love beans, but I almost always just rinse them right out of the can. In my opinion, and I've been at this a while (15 years), is that as long as you eat enough fruits and veggies as a vegan, the rest just falls into place. Eating too much fake meat and vegan cookies isn't good for anyone. I eat a large majority of my food raw and unprocessed and keep the cooked stuff as close to it's natural state as possible.

I know it's hard, but try not to get wrapped up so much in all the latest hype, and just listen to your body. Experiment from there!

Good luck to you... and happy veganism!