Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Hooray Udupi!

I'm already in Thanksgiving mode, but I wanted to pop in real quick and tell you about the best authentic South Indian food in the city: Udupi Palace. I have to say authentic because I still love Dosa with all my heart, but let's face it, you're not finding a mixed green salad with walnuts, mango, and a cilantro vinaigrette on the streets of Chennai. Udupi, on the other hand, is the real deal. They have other locations - one in Berkeley and one in Sunnyvale - and the latter actually catered our wedding, but since we hate to drive (especially over the Bay Bridge) we rarely get to eat the good stuff. I was a little worried that they would have SF-ed it up (higher prices, fancier plates, etc.) but it's still the good old Udupi. Ok, the prices are maybe a little higher, but considering how much higher the rent must be, who can blame them? We still had 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, and 2 beers for $38. Can't beat it. The flavors are to die for - and there's no meat in site! The "others" don't seem to mind though because it's all so yummy. The memory of my rasam and masala dosa still linger on my palate. Alas, all that's left is this picture:



Have a wonderful Thanks"living" everyone. I'll be sure to post pictures of our vegan feast soon after. Oh, and if you're around San Francisco on Friday, come be a part of Fur Free Friday. See you there!

No comments: