Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Favorite Vegan Staple

Just wanted to take a minute to give some love to my dear friend hummus. A chickpea creation unlike any other, this creamy tahini and garlic mash sits perfectly atop a pita chip, a salad, or in a good sandwich. It's devotees are many, and they have so many options these days! Every supermarket has at least a few different hummus choices - from standard plain to red pepper and extra garlic - and I love them all. These days, though, when I hit up Rainbow, I've been grabbing Yousef's*.

It is of the plain variety and contains only some chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, parsley and salt. It's great just like that, but it also makes a good base if I want to get creative and add some cumin or cayenne or chopped olives. (Mmmm, olives....) I hate runny hummus, and Yousef's is nice and thick. Pick some up next time you're out, and let me know what your fave hummus is while you're at it. I'm always open to suggestions!

*In searching for a link to Yousef's on the web, this was all I could find - a write up about a hummus contest in which Yousef's placed 3rd. Congrats, Yousef!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have only discovered hummus about a year ago. It's a MUST for me now, I always throw in red pepper to make it that much more delicious!

Anonymous said...

OH, I have only eaten hummus in a Turkish restaurant and whenever I buy it, it's the TRIBE variety.

Sky said...

You're a relative hummus newbie. :) Glad you found it though. I don't think I've ever seen Tribe stuff before, but that just goes to show how many companies are making the stuff. It's the best!

Anonymous said...

Really? WOW! The majority of hummus i see around here is from Tribe. it's delish!!! I want to make my own.