Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Fellini

Last night my husband and I braved the bridge and headed east to Berkeley to meet some friends for dinner. The traffic was fairly miserable, but so is the proximity of a BART station to our apartment, so driving seemed to make more sense. Despite the commute, we were in good spirits. We knew the company would be good, and we had a hunch the food would be as well. Finally, I got my ass to Fellini.

I've been wanting to try this place for the longest time, and after my parents gave it rave reviews (they actually called me from the restaurant they were so damn excited) I knew the days were numbered before I would get there. Needless to say I was anticipating greatness, so when I heard that they totally revamped their menu only days before I managed to get through the doors, I was apprehensive. My parents went on and on about the vegan alfredo, and it sadly got the axe. Luckily, the left some pretty great items, and we enjoyed everything we ordered.

First of all, I must say that Fellini is 100% committed to vegans and others living harmoniously together. Their menu is one of the best I've seen so far. Options abound for everyone, and everything is well-marked. Love it. We all had trouble deciding what to get, but I finally settled on the Spring Mix salad, and the Ratatouille Provencal:











I gotta say, I wanted to love these dishes, but both were sort of eh. Not terrible but my socks weren't knocked off either. The combo of eggplant and sweet potato was a bit weird, and the awesome presentation serves simply to hide the fact that the dish is just a bunch of veggies and couscous in a none-too-spectacular sauce. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.
My husband, on the other hand, got the vegan version of the Linguini Carbonara and LOVED it. Something for me to try next time for sure.

And, yes, there will definitely be a next time. My entree may not have wowed me this trip, but with such offerings as a vegan meat-lovers pizza (you read that right - it's called the Smiling Cow) and vegan Pappardelle, I'm all about it. Plus the ambiance is great, the people are friendly, and the wine list is decent. Oh, and they have a vegan chocolate cake that I didn't have room for. That is reason enough for me to go back. Maybe I'll see you and your others there!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree that fellinis menu is excellent for vegans or omnivores.
dinner is quite good but brunch is exceptional!!!
their hollandaise sauce is way happening

Sky said...

Hmmm... I'll have to go back for brunch sometime I suppose! Thanks for the tip. :)