Sunday, September 14, 2008

Marin Brewing Company


I like beer. Vinophile that I am, it has taken me a while to get to a point where I can say this with ease. At first I was turned off by the bitterness, my taste buds all confused with hops and malt and suds. But now I revel in trying a new brew, and so, with a gift certificate in hand, the husband and I headed up to Larkspur yesterday to have lunch at Marin Brewing Company.

First I will say that this day started off bad. I have tried to set up hang gliding three times now and all three times the weather has not been deemed acceptable by my instructors. So, the plan to hang glide off Mt. Tamalpais and then head to lunch turned into hiking the Dawn Falls Trail and then heading to lunch. The weather actually cleared a bit and it turned into a lovely day. So, while I didn't get to cross hang gliding off my life list just yet, we did have a great time getting out of the city and enjoying some nature... and beer.

As with most brewing companies, the beer is the main attraction and my Mt. Tam Pale Ale was quite good. Light and hoppy, with a sort of blueberry aftertaste. Not the best beer I've ever had, but decent.

The food was also pretty standard. I will say that I emailed in advance to find out if their veggie burger patties were vegan and I received a prompt reply that they contained eggs. I appreciate such honesty in an establishment. So, with burgers not an option, I went with the veggie club; avocado, sprouts, tomato, and lettuce on whole wheat (I held the mayo and cheese). This came with steak fries and a pickle. Gotta love the pickle. All in all, the food was okay, but nothing to write home about. Kudos to them for having a good number of vegetarian options (the husband loved his black bean burger) but they come up short for vegans.

Like I said, we had a gift certificate which prompted this visit, but I doubt we'll be back..... especially since Pizzeria Picco is also in Larkspur and makes the best marinara pie on the planet. Seriously. More on that soon I hope. Meanwhile, it's time to grab my Wolaver's, eat some hummus and watch some football!

No comments: