Monday, September 28, 2009

Minneapolis Eats: Zelo

Now that I'm back into teaching for the year, I've had to realize that I won't have as much time to blog as much. Of course I don't intend to have any less to blog about, I'll just have to be more concise. Today is a case in point. Here's the gist: We went to Zelo for pre-Ani DiFranco concert fuel. It appears to be your standard Italian place, but hidden beneath that facade is a vegan restaurant dying to come out. Just look at all this food we had:











First up there was some smokey wood-grilled asparagus (yum!) and edamame with sea salt (don't see that at every Italian joint.) A wonderful start.












Next we got some matchstick zucchini sauteed with almonds and basil. Simple, delicious flavors with great texture. I should make this at home sometime soon. For a fresh bright contrast we had an heirloom grain salad made with quinoa, farro, hearts of palm, red peppers, tomatoes, and other veggies and herbs. The lemon vinaigrette was so refreshing!

We also split this duo of bruschetta. One is your typical tomato, basil, and olive oil variety while the other has avocado and jalepeno added to the mix. Zelo brings the classic flavors to life and delivers an awesome twist to the table with the slightly hot, super creamy avocado version. I loved both of them.

There was also another salad, plenty of fresh-baked bread and olive oil, and maybe another veggie. I can't remember. The point is that Zelo had a TON of vegan options and doesn't advertise it at all. Just another example of how easy it can be to eat well with others.

So I haven't been in a restaurant in a week now and I must admit I'm having withdrawal. One more week..... and of course I promise to elaborate on my home eats soon! Meanwhile, if you haven't yet, go search your couch cushions for change and make a donation on my page for Farm Sanctuary. The animals need your help and I'm honored to be able to pitch in, even if it means spending a Saturday walking! :)

No comments: