Sunday, September 13, 2009

Foreign Cinema and AT&T Park

The weekend is not over yet, but so far I've been to two places in San Francisco I've always wanted to go: Foreign Cinema and a Giants game at AT&T Park.

Foreign Cinema has been in SF for 10 years (kind of like me), and is still a go-t0 dining spot for those who love good food in a great atmosphere. Knowing this, my expectations were high going in, and I'm happy to say I was not disappointed. It is a truly beautiful restaurant, with high ceilings, light fixtures that look like bouquets of drying flowers, and - of course - films being projected on the patio wall. The service was impeccable and everyone was in a good mood, but let's talk about the food.

I started with a salad of gem lettuces, sweet 100 cherry tomatoes, and olive oil croutons, all dressed in a sherry vinaigrette. There was also organic bread and olive oil on the table, so I was a happy camper. This is simple food made from the best ingredients, and all was delicious. It was also the perfect amount - just enough to whet my appetite for my entree. Speaking of which, they offer up a daily vegetarian entree comprised of the "best vegetables of the day" and are happy to make it vegan.

The best veggies on Friday night included corn, string beans, chanterelle mushrooms, fingerling potatoes, and arugula. All were seasoned and cooked beautifully, and topped with an olive-coated crostini. I love a good veggie plate, and this is certainly among the best. If I had any complaints, it would be that it was just a wee bit on the small side, especially considering Foreign Cinema doesn't have any vegan desserts. Still, it was satisfying and yummy, all my dining companions loved their food, and it was a real pleasure to eat there. I now understand how they've managed to keep the city's adoration for so long.

One San Francisco institution down, I decided to hit up another I've never been to and go to a Giants game last night. (That's the view from our seats, left). Let it be known that I am not a big baseball person, and actually find the game a little boring. On the other hand, I love veggie dogs, and I've been reminded over and over again by PETA that AT&T Park is the #2 ranked veg-friendly ballpark, veggie dogs included.

Of course, I had to have one. I gotta say.... I wasn't thrilled with it. I've had better veggie dogs in my day. Ambiance plays a roll of course, and the abilty to eat a hot dog in a ballpark is one I relish (pun totally intended). On the other hand, the stadium has another vegan offering that I could eat in a dark closet and still find mouth-watering and addictive: The garlic fries.

Oh man. These babies are so good. If you're anything like me, you'll inhale them, savoring every garlicy bite. Magically both crispy and creamy, the fries are topped with TONS of garlic and fresh herbs and served up piping hot, no ketchup required. I could eat vats of them. You'll definitely want your significant other to have some too (to cancel out the garlic breath effect) so make sure you get two orders. :)

It's a cloudy day now and the first Sunday of real football (a game I actually DO enjoy), so it's time to relax. Later, we have dinner plans at a neighborhood place we keep meaning to try, so stay tuned for the run down in the near future. Meanwhile, enjoy the rest of the weekend!

No comments: