Thursday, September 10, 2009

Boulder Eats: Sunflower


Boulder seems to have a thing for naming restaurants after vegetation, and Sunflower is my second shining example (see previous post for the first). This is dining with a strong emphasis on organics and a menu of very well-marked and plentiful vegan options. At Sunflower, you can have buffalo, bass, or a "Boulder Bourguignon" - a vegan version of the classic wine-braised beef dish made with seitan and tempeh. Going for brunch meant missing all that, but there were still numerous good eats to be had for us early diners.







The sunshiny juice on the right is my husband's carrot-orange concoction. Using only organics means they get the best tasting and freshest produce at Sunflower. That matters a great deal when you're going to concentrate all that flavor into juice. The husband was pleased.








Knowing I would not eat again until much later at the wedding (that would be the whole reason we were in Boulder in case I forgot to mention) I knew I needed something filling, and this delicious tofu scramble definitely fit the bill. Full of onions, spinach, asparagus, and other veggies, and served up with paprika-doused home fries and toast, this is one great way to start your day and keep you going for a long while.

My only regret is not having the time to go back to Sunflower and try their lunch and dinner offerings. On a much happier note, I didn't even have to worry about being fed at the wedding, as our pals took very good care of their vegan friends.... but more on that next time.

No comments: