Monday, October 12, 2009

Tales From the Lower East Side

I just got back a few hours ago from my trip back east and, though I am exhausted, I wanted to blog at least a little about our trip. We had such a great time seeing our friends and family, celebrating our anniversary and my brother's wedding and, of course, eating some amazing food.

It's an EWWO first, but I feel the need to post a hotel recommendation. The Hotel on Rivington is freaking fantastic. This was my second time staying there and my husband's first. He loved it and we're already planning a couple night getaway over Christmas. Not only are there floor to ceiling windows in each room (that's our room above) but they have Tempurpedic beds, big refrigerators, and the best location in town. Across the street is Economy Candy which has tons of vegan treats, as well as Teany, should it ever reopen (I continue to pray it does). Within a few blocks you have a giant Whole Foods, MooShoes, and Babycakes. You are also well within the realm of walking distance to all the delicious East Village eats like Counter, Caravan of Dreams, Lula's Sweet Apothecary, Dirt Candy, Angelica Kitchen.... It just doesn't get much better.

In between the hotel and the Whole Foods is Pala. It's not all veg, but they make a mean salad (above) and lots of vegan pizzas using your choice of Follow Your Heart or Daiya cheeses. I went with the Daiya and had this abosuletly delicious mushroom and basil pizza:














This pizza had a perfect crust, just the right amount of sauce, fresh basil, earthy mushrooms, and gooey Daiya. The best welcome to NYC I've had in a while. Truly a great place to eat well with others.

Ok, that's all I have in me for now. There were lots more good eats, so stay tuned....

No comments: