Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sweet Stuff in NYC

I will get around to a longer post about our anniversary dinner sometime soon, promise. But for right now, I just want to take a brief minute to talk about 2 of the best ways in NYC (if not the world) to sate a vegan sweet tooth.

Babycakes makes awe-inspiring baked goods in their all vegan, mostly gluten-free, amazing smelling, and downright adorable bakery on the Lower East Side. The cupcakes (above) we had were moist and delicious with the perfect ratio of cake to icing. Love.
















Ok, so I know I am prone to exaggeration, but Lula's Sweet Apothecary makes the best ice cream - vegan or otherwise - on the planet. The flavors are unbelievable, the consistency smooth, and the toppings plentiful. I had a sundae (left, above) with peanut butter and chocolate ice cream, peanuts, and hot fudge, all topped with coconut-based whipped cream and a cherry. A massive sweet tooth have I, however, so I also had a soft serve cone (right, above) - a twist of chocolate and cake batter flavors topped with rainbow sprinkles. Nothing short of a revelation in vegan ice cream. I could literally cry just thinking about how long it will be until I get to go to Lula's again. Blythe (the owner, pictured with me below) - I beg of you; Please open up shop in San Francisco.

Lastly, I leave you with something you can dig your sweet tooth into no matter where you live. I present to you the magic that is the vegan cake at Whole Foods:

WF makes some of the yummiest vegan treats and all their stores carry 'em. This means that you don't have to go to NYC to get your sugar rush. We got this chocolate cake in good old New Jersey for all the vegans that attended my brother's wedding last weekend. Rave reviews all around.

For now, sleep. But stay tuned for that anniversary dinner, some good eats in NJ, and the wonder that shall be the SF Vegan Bake Sale!!!