Monday, May 18, 2009

Souley Vegan

Yes, the Liz Lovely Contest is still going on, but there has been a lot of good eating going on around here. Lest I fall behind, I best keep on blogging....

So, I was quite unhappy the other day when I learned that, yet again, Millennium Restaurant would be holding it's "Southern Comfort" dinner on a night I can not attend. It seems like I've always got other plans the one night a year that they hold this feast of bbq, beer, and belly-busting desserts. So distraught was I that I needed comfort, stat! Enter Souley Vegan. It had been on my list of places to go for a long while, so when I heard they had closed their doors, I sadly thought I had missed my chance to try what many have called the best vegan sould food around. I also mistakingly thought I could not possibly love Rainbow any more that I already do, but I was wrong on both counts: Rainbow now carries Souley Vegan food. Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

While I'm sure Millennium's dinner will be off-the-charts amazing, this was some of the best down-home, finger-lickin', endlessly comforting food I've had in a long time. That potato salad in the back there was the best potato salad I've ever had, hands down. It's neighbor, the mac-and-cheese, was scarily close to the real deal and had just the right amount of mustard kick. The collards were tender and savory, and the BBQ Tofu, which I chopped up and put on an Alvarado St. bun, was ooey, gooey, goodness. Comfort accomplished.

Of course that didn't stop me from wanting something sweet. At Millennium's dinner they supposedly do a dessert bar, and while I coudln't top that, this Liz Lovely Chocolate Moose Dragon topped with a scoop of Coconut Milk Ice Cream was a little peice of heaven.

Get yourself to Rainbow (or the Grand Lake Farmer's Market in Oakland) and eat some Souley Vegan food immediately. Your tongue, belly, and yes, your soul, will thank you.

No comments: