Sunday, November 29, 2009

Day After Eats


While everyone else is busy eating leftovers from their Thanksgiving feast, those of us who dined out on the big day have the pleasure of tasting all new tastes... and so we did!

After waiting for what seemed like an eternity, the tree in Union Square was lit and we were there to behold it in all its glory. Meh. This outing did allow us, however, to finally try a restaurant I've wanted to go to for a while: Loving Hut.



Obviously, it's an all vegan place. But it gets way weirder than that. There are a ton of these pan-Asian joints all over the world and they all promote veganism by way of Supreme Master TV. This channel is running while you eat, and there is literature available, as well as pictures of the "Supreme Master" herself (a woman named Ching Hai, described as a spiritual teacher) with "dignitaries" such as a "member of the Slovenian parliament." Yeah, it's weird shit people. But I could have given a crap as long as the food was good.

Sadly it was hit or miss. The rolls above? A fresh and tasty hit. The yellow curry below? A watery, no-taste-having miss.

My husband had the orange "chicken" and it was pretty good.... but what isn't good once you deep fry it and top it with sugary sauce? On the other hand, the rice was some of the best I've had. Go figure.














So, while I woudln't out and out refuse to eat at Loving Hut again, I don't think I'll be heading back anytime soon. I like my food without the side of indoctrination, thanks.

Plenty more good eats were to be had this weekend and I'll tell you all about it soon. Meanwhile, enjoy the last few hours of this long weekend, folks. I know I will!

No comments: