Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Day One, Part Two

After a bit of a breather, we trekked back out into the night for what proved to be the best meal of the trip. The Blue Note was our final destination and we wanted to eat somewhere in close proximity. Luckily, only 3 blocks (and a culinary world) away was Gobo. After hearing rave reviews from every person I know who's eaten there, I finally caved. It's so easy for me to go back to favorites like Caravan of Dreams or Counter when I'm in New York, but I couldn't be happier to have ventured outside my eating bubble. Gobo was outstanding.











It was a chilly night, but the atmosphere inside was warm and inviting. Servers were friendly and attentive, and the smells coming out of the open kitchen were making me salivate before I even sat down. Once I did, I was faced with the daunting task of choosing my meal from a very extensive menu. The husband and I wanted to try one of everything, but we didn't even come close. He started with the Won Ton soup which arrived piping hot and yummy as all get out. I, on the other hand, had a cool and refreshing salad of romaine, slivered almonds, and a slammin' dressing I can't remember too well. After that my Butternut Squash Risotto was warm and soul-satisfying. My husband, upon tasting it, seriously questioned its veganism, but everything in the whole place is animal-free - amazing, mind-blowing risotto included. Seriously, best risotto ever. And, as if that weren't enough, the hubby also ordered the yam and yucca fries. Oh yeah, we were in heaven.










With time to kill before the show, and a litle room still left in our esophagi, we ordered the gingerbread cookie with vanilla ice cream, spiced berry sauce, and candied ginger. I had been craving gingerbread for about a week (how else would I know it was Christmastime?) and this hit the spot and then some. I can still remember the warm berries, spicy ginger, and cool vanilla coming together in perfect harmony in my mouth. A wonderful end to a holiday meal. I highly recommend Gobo. With all these favorite restaurants of mine in NY, I'm going to have to start extending all my trips there just to eat! Ah, we should all be so blessed.

Day Two coming soon....

No comments: