Friday, May 11, 2012

Cindo de Mayo Eats

On May 5th, we celebrate... well, I'm not exactly sure, and my Mexican friends tell me it's not something they even celebrate in Mexico.  So, for all intents and purposes, on May 5th we celebrate Mexican food and culture!  For me and my group of friends, this meant taking a lovely ferry ride over to Tiburon for a fantastic lunch in the sunshine at Guaymas Restaurant.  I've been there before, as you know, and I'm happy to say they are still tasty, vegan-friendly, and great with large groups.  In addition to buckets of Corona and pitchers of margaritas, I also enjoyed...


The Fiesta Ensalada (sans cheese).  It comes in a fried tortilla.  I am not a hater.  Also...


Grilled plantains.  Sweet and delicious on their own, the bright cilantro lime sauce drizzled over the top makes them uber yummy and the perfect sweet ending to a meal there.

Next month, we are taking a trip to Mexico with friends of ours from there and this little taste has got me so psyched to get the authentic stuff soon.  Of course I'll be writing about it.... but meanwhile, stay tuned for some great new SF eats.  Coming at ya soon, promise.   Happy Friday, everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read about that recently - Cinco de Mayo was first observed in Los Angleles in 1862, when the Mex/American community celebrated a Mexican army victory over the French (who had threatened to side with the Confederacy in the Civil War). The Mexican community was overwhelmingly Union. So you're right - today's Mexican's are left scratching their heads...! Pam

Sky said...

I actually know and then forget the details every year. I look it up, think to myself "um, ok" and then forget again. The funny thing is that our good friend from Mexico is also part French so he is very torn on Cinco de Mayo. :) Anyway, thanks for the comment and education!