Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Candy Caps Gone Wild

NOTE:   SINCE PUBLISHING, IT HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION BY A KIND READER THAT THESE ARE NOT ACTUALLY VEGAN.  SIGH.  FAR WEST HAD SIMPLY AND REGRETTABLY OMITTED THE GELATIN FROM THEIR INGREDIENT LIST.

Have you ever smelled a candy cap mushroom?  They smell like maple syrup and not at all like mushrooms.  I'd never eaten one, and I still have no idea how I'd serve them up in a regular meal, but I did have the unusual pleasure of trying Far West Funghi's incredible candy cap marshmallow.


This cube of vegan goodness can be yours at the Far West Funghi kiosk in the Ferry Building and I highly suggest you try it.  It may be mostly corn syrup and magic, but there are mushrooms in there!  They are not disguised, but rather their sweetness is played up nicely and transformed into something fluffy and gooey and pretty darn cool.  I don't know if I'd be making s'mores with these bad boys, but I'm glad I had one and encourage you to do the same.  Go!

Next up, something far more healthy.  :)

4 comments:

Bill said...

Just saw them today. They listed gelatin on their ingredients list. Last week I bought some and it did not say that. I think it was foolishly omitted before.

Sky said...

Bill! Thank you so much for this incredibly sad update. The guy I spoke with insisted that the ingredients on the card were all there were. I am suddenly so happy we split that mallow between 4 people and didn't go back for more. Should have known.... I really appreciate you commenting here though so know we all know. I'll update the entry too.

Bill said...

Glad I could let you know. They were very squishy but I thought it could be some kind of magical property of the mushrooms since I bet no one tried to make a mushroom marshmallow before. Candy caps are very awesome though. If you're in the ferry building, Pepples makes a candy cap flavored donut that you should check out.

btw, I really enjoy your blog. Joanne Pons recommended it to me. I used to work with her.

Sky said...

Glad you like reading and love that Joanne spread the word to you, Bill. :) I too thought the mushrooms themselves might have been magic. Oh well. I have seen the Pepple's donut but I almost always go for one of their chocolate varieties when I'm there. Next time it's a mushroom donut for sure!