Monday, February 22, 2010

I Scream for More Ice Cream!

As promised, my search for the perfect sugar-free and vegan ice cream continues. Recently, I tried some pretty decent stuff from a funnily-named company, NadaMoo!. This is a coconut milk based ice cream, and they use a combination of rice syrup and agave to sweeten things up. As you can see above, I tried their "Gotta Do Chocolate" and "Lotta Mint Chip" flavors. Here's the inside scoop (pun totally and cheesily intended):

The chocolate was just eh. Kinda chalky flavor - not as deep and rich as I like it. The mint, on the other hand was amazing. Just like the mint chocolate chip ice cream of my youth. Seriously, it was delicious and refreshingly minty. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. One caveat though: It's not entirely sugar-free. You see, the little chocolate chips flecked throughout are made with real sugar. Do I wish they used agave-sweetened chocolate? Hell yeah. Will I let that little bit of sugar stop me from getting more? No way. After all, I still drink kombucha, and that stuff is fermented using sugar. (Speaking of which, if anyone knows where to get good agave-brewed kombucha, hit me up!)

I think my ice cream testing has come to an end for now, mainly because my jeans are getting tight over here. The NadaMoo! mint is my favorite, though I think the best sugar-free ice cream overall is my old pal Purely Decadent Coconut Milk ice cream. Not all the flavors are sugar-free, but the vanilla sure is. Plus, it's divine, and can be used as a base to mix in anything you like (I like a combo of peanut butter, pretzels, and Uli Mana's truffle butter....yeah, it's ridiculously good).

Okay, it's Monday and I've got a real job, so I'm off. I'll tell the tale of this past weekend's eats pretty soon. Until then, have a great week everyone!

1 comment:

Best ice shaver said...

I must thank you for your great information at this time. You have been extremely supportive through this blog. Your attitude and work level suits here, so keep up the good work!Best gelato maker
Home gelato machine
Best ice cream makers
What is the Best gelato maker