Monday, February 7, 2011

Kingdom Cake

I love a good deal, so when I saw a Groupon for a promising new cupcakery, I jumped on it. Well, first I made sure there were vegan options, of course. Then I jumped on it. Then for no good reason, I stalled on ordering. So I decided to wait until just before the deal's expiration and get some cupcakes for the SuperBowl. A dozen mini red velvets were ordered. Meanwhile, they offered another, even better, Groupon, which I also bought. Hooray! A dozen mini carrot cupcakes were ordered to go with the red velvet, and yesterday I went to Kingdom Cake's adorable pick-up window in North Beach with my two Groupons, and picked up two dozen of the most pretty cupcakes you ever did see. First the red velvet:

I have a confession. Until yesterday, I had never had a red velvet cupcake in my entire life. I guess I went vegan before having one and haven't come across a vegan version before? Seems impossible, but true. In any case, these were worth waiting for. My red velvet-loving friend claims they were more chocolatey than she normally likes her red velvet to be (no problem with that on my end!) but we all agreed the frosting was the bomb:

Mmmmm, frosting. Even my no-sweet-tooth-having husband loved them. But wait, it gets better!

These carrot cupcakes had me salivating as soon as I picked them up because the smell of all those warm spices was just so inviting. And when I finally got to eat one? Heaven. Perfectly gingery, cinnamony, and carroty (hehe) and topped with more of that awesome frosting, crushed walnuts, and what I'm guessing is Kingdom Cake's signature edible glitter.

I could have EASILY eaten a dozen of these little beauties all by myself. Luckily I had the help of friends at the SuperBowl, but I will definitely be back to Kingdom Cake for more. If you're a vegan in the Bay Area please please please go support them and prove that there is a demand for quality vegan baked goods in the city. I mean, just check out the delicious-sounding vegan flavors on their menu. Now go order some. The process is easy, the people are super-nice, and the product couldn't be better!

Up next, back to an old fave later this week, so stay tuned. Have a great week y'all...

7 comments:

Princess Consuela said...

Mmmm, yummy! I love dessert! When I go out to eat I look at the dessert menu first to see if I need to order something small in order to save room for dessert. And recently I've been on a mission to try anything red velvet. Those cupcakes look darker than most red velvet cakes that I have seen (I guess because of the higher cocoa content), but they still look YUMMY!

Sky said...

They were DELICIOUS. I also think that most red velvet use artificial dyes or food coloring and KC doesn't. You REALLY must go to Sweet Avenue Bakeshop next time you are up in northern Jersey. Best Cupcakes EVER.

Princess Consuela said...

I will definately try it out next time I'm in the area. I'm thinking of going vegan for a week (I want to challenge myself). I'm trying to plan out my menu for the week ahead of time, but I'm stuck on what I can replace my usual cheese and apple mid-morning snack with. I also usually have a yogurt with lunch. What could I have instead? Any suggestions or websites that I can go on for ideas? Thanks.

Sky said...

What about apple and peanut butter (a fave of mine). Or hummus and carrot sticks? And why not just sub out your regular yogurt for soy or coconut milk yogurt? Both are available at Whole Foods or if you're near New Brunswick, at the George St. Coop. http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/ has great healthy recipes and vegweb.com is a huge resource too. And of course check out http://veganfavorites.com :)

Princess Consuela said...

I had no idea they made vegan substitutes for yogurt! I think I'm going to learn a lot by going vegan for a week. Thanks for the other snack ideas. I LOVE both combos. I'm definately going to make a trip to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's to stock up for my Vegan week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sky said...

Yes please do - and there are vegan subs for EVERYTHING!

Mom said...

These cupcakes look fantastic! So many great vegan cupcakes in the world!Yum