Friday, January 28, 2011

Marengo

Marengo on Union opened in my hood a while ago and I've been wanting to go mainly because of the restaurant's subtitle of "whisky, wine & sliders." A good friend of mine has been promising to school me in whisky (a bit of an obsession of hers) and having my lesson while noshing on some veggie sliders sounded awesome. Alas, the "shroomer", as they call their veggie patty, is not vegan. Way to accomodate some but not all, guys. Sigh. However, with a few alterations, there was plenty to eat on the menu.

In the picture you can see everything I consumed at Marengo. On the left was the Asian Grilled Chicken Salad. Since I obviously got it without the chicken, they gave me extra edamame. Hooray! It was a tasty bowl of lettuces, napa cabbage, black sesame seeds, slivered almonds, edamame and crispy tortilla strips in a sweet and sour vinaigrette. Quite good actually, and would be worth going back for. The sweet potato fries on the the right were super duper delicious, but then again sweet potato fries are pretty much my favorite food ever, so I might be biased. All in all a good meal. In the back there you can see my Knob Creek bourbon. My aficionado friend really likes that one and thought it would be a good way to ease into the world of whisky for a newbie like me. I don't know that I'm a convert from my beloved wine, but it really was nice and warming and I'd try it again. Oh, and Barnivore says it's vegan too!

One cool thing about Marengo is that on nice days the roof is fully retractable, so when we get some nice warm weather, I'd definitely go back for open-air whisky sipping and fry eating. Now if only they would get the damn cheese out of their veggie slider...

Have a great weekend everyone, and don't forget to check in over at Vegan Favorites for our daily picks!

No comments: