Sunday, May 9, 2010

Spectacular Saturday

The clouds have come back to San Francisco, so it's the perfect time for me to curl up with my laptop and tell the tale of my great day yesterday. Nothing all that spectacular happened, actually, but it was just a nice day from start (kickboxing class) to finish (good eats and dancing at Medjool). One of the highlights was definitely my time spent at the SF Vegan Bake Sale, of course. There were donuts...

and cupcakes....

and cookies (by yours truly, btw).....

Oh my! But wait, there's more!

Lest you think the bake sale was all sweet and no savory, these tempeh collard rolls by In the Mood for Food were flying off the table and into the mouths of many a happy customer. All the items - sweet tooth satisfying or not - were delicious, and even better, we raised more than $3000 for Wildcare and Gorilla.CD. Yay! If you missed out this time, you best start following SF Vegan Bake Sale on Twitter and get your butt to the next event in July!

After the bake sale, I enjoyed some nice time with the niece and nephew and even got some sunshine. For dinner, we had plans to meet some friends at Medjool, where the vegan offerings are pretty plentiful, and very tasty:

First up, we had the sampler of hummus, tabouleh, and baba ganoush. All were good, but the hummus (in the back, above) was my favorite. It's got a thinner than usual consistency but for what it lacks in the ability to hold up your pita crisp, it makes up for in big garlicy, tahini-fueled flavor.

The warm stuffed grape leaves are also a must-try at Medjool. Vegans should make sure to get them without the yogurt-laden side salad, but other than that, these warm rolls are nothing but savory goodness.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever had broccolini as good as this. They arrive perfectly salty, garlicy, and with just a hint of chili. I was so glad we decided to order this dish.

Last up was this scrumptious salad. It seems simple, but greens, almonds, and pears (get it without the blue cheese) come alive in the wonderfully mustardy vinaigrette.

After dinner, we spent some time up on the lovely roof deck (view, above) before heading back downstairs for some dancing. (The DJ starts at 11pm). Now it's time for some much-deserved relaxation... and some apple celery turmeric ginger juice methinks!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone, and stay tuned this week for an old haunt in new location, as well as a trip to one of the hippest restaurants in town. Coming soon!

4 comments:

Sugarbear said...

Your cookies were my favorite thing at the bakesale. Totally rockin'! 2 questions: Is it your own recipe? Where did you find the white chocolate chips?

Sky said...

Thanks Sugarbear! That means a lot. Sadly I can not take credit for the recipe. I use this one:
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=20959.0

I use a tad less than the amount of white chocolate chips called for, and other than the chips, all the ingredients are organic. I think it really makes a difference! Oh, and I omit the salt and use roasted and salted macadamia nuts to make up for it. As for the chips, I use these:
http://www.cosmosveganshoppe.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CVS&Product_Code=OWCC&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

Hope that helps - and thanks for supporting the SF Vegan Bake Sale!

Sugarbear said...

Thanks Sky! Can't wait to whip up a batch.

Sky said...

Enjoy! BTW, I mentioned your blog in my latest post. :)