Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Austin: Day Three

Our 3rd day in Austin was all about the classics: Burgers and Pizza.

The 'bueno burger', above, came from Mother's Cafe and Garden. The patty is made from seeds, grains, veggies, and tofu and comes on a whole wheat bun with all the fixin's. I got mine with guacamole so I didn't even use the ketchup, mustard, or vegan mayo. This was definitely one of the best veggie burgers I've ever had. Savory and spot-hitting, it had a great texture and wasn't greasy at all. As for Mother's itself, what a great place. It's open, airy, and inviting, and definitely worth the drive from our downtown hotel to check it out. Yum.

Dinner was at Hoboken Pie. It's pretty bold to claim to have NJ-style pizzas outside of NJ and, being natives ourselves, my mom and I were determined to put this place to the authenticity test. To do this we needed to order two vegan pizzas:














The verdict? They pass with flying colors. Hoboken Pie uses Teese cheese on their vegan pies and I really felt like I had died and gone to heaven... or at least to a vegan version of my NJ youth. These pies have a thin crust, a slightly sweet tomato sauce, fresh veggies, and of course that melty 'cheese'. So good. Needless to say we did not finish our pizzas, but the homeless guys who received our leftovers gave them the thumbs up as well!

Up next? More from Austin, San Antonio, and even San Francicso (lest you think I stopped eating when I got home!) so stay tuned...

No comments: