Saturday, July 9, 2011

Camino

We've got some friends in town from D.C. and they're staying in the East Bay. This means the husband and I had no choice but to make the trip over the bridge to eat, drink, and be merry with our pals. Since our most beloved restaurant over that way, Gather, was booked up, our omni friends suggested Camino. It's one of their favorite spots, and they have enjoyed the vegetarian dishes they've ordered in the past. So, off we went...

First up was my arugula and parsley salad with hazelnuts (and without pecorino). It was beautifully dressed in a light olive oil vinaigrette and was really refreshing. Again, I was reminded that I really need to put fresh herbs in my salads more often. The bite of the parsley was so nice!

Sadly, the vegan entree option for the evening was the dreaded vegetable plate. Omni restaurants do this so often when all their proteins are from animals and their grains are full of butter and cream. Luckily, it's summer, so we at least got some uber-scrumptious corn on the cob. Don't get me wrong, the mushrooms and squash were tasty and the artichokes were actually REALLY good (and covered with garlicy fried breadcrumbs! Yum!) but as a vegan who dines with omnivores a lot, I'm just over the vegetable plate. I mean Camino obviously knows what they're doing with food, so I'd love to see some more creativity. That being said....

...let's not forget what meals together are for. More important than the food was the time I got to spend with far-flung friends, like Jaynie - an omnivore who loves her corn! :) All meals, even the worst tasting, are made better by the moments we have with our friends and loved ones. Speaking of which, I'm off to L.A. this week for a good friend's wedding, so stay tuned for some Los Angeles updates in the near future. I hope that no matter what you're eating this week, you're in delicious company.

2 comments:

miri leigh said...

I do like the idea of pairing arugula with hazelnuts!

Sky said...

It's a match made in edible heaven. :)