Monday, May 2, 2011

Holy Crap -a Post! About Brunch! At Out the Door!

I know, I know.... it's been, like, FOREVER since I posted here. My bad. I've been busy over at Vegan Favorites, taking an e-course, and plotting a new career direction. The former will be revealed in due time, but rest assured I've been eating well during all this stuff of life too! For example, we went to one of our favorite places, OUT THE DOOR (the Bush Street location) this weekend and got to try their brunch menu. Delicious! See for yourself:

Much of the vegan brunch items at OTD are the same as what's offered on the regular menu, with one shining exception that we'll get to later. But first, let us gaze upon the papaya salad (sans fish sauce). It is the best papaya salad I've ever had, and sometimes I crave it so badly that I must get it immediately lest people get injured. There is just something about the combination of crunchy veggies and green papaya with the savory dressing, peanuts, and plethora of fresh herbs that is SO GOOD. Speaking of fresh herbs...

Check out another fave of ours from the regular menu. Those are the veggie imperial rolls. I love this dish because you take one of the crispy fried nuggets of joy, wrap it up in a lettuce leaf, add some rice noodles, and (here's the best part!) some huge fresh mint leaves, and then you dunk the whole thing in the tangy sauce. Love them! But, you know what? Sometimes you want something sweet at brunch to balance out your savory. At most omni joints, this means a fruit cup or some other such nonsense, but not at Out the Door. Oh, no. For here there lies the hidden gem of the brunch menu. The warm sticky black rice:

I can not exaggerate the tastiness of this item. Basically they take black sticky rice and add sweetened coconut milk, salty peanuts, and some pureed avocado. It is a flavor sensation unlike anything you've had. Super sweetness balanced with just the right amount of salt, all warmed to perfection and ready to dance all over your taste buds. A must-try for anyone up for a unique brunch experience!

I love Out the Door for any meal, but brunch is now officially my favorite time to go. Go too, and bring an omni friend. Everyone will be happily eating well. Promise. I also promise that you can keep up with me better over at Vegan Favorites these days, so click that link and "like" us, dammit! And until next time.... eat well!

No comments: