Saturday, June 27, 2009

Miami Eats: Pelican

Ahhhh... I'm lounging on the hotel room balcony here in Marathon, FL, where I'm attending Dr. Fuhrman's Health Getaway. After a week of eating, drinking, and partying in Miami (the view from our room is above) it's a nice detox, not to mention good quality time with The Mom. I figured since I'm playing hookie from the lecture right now anyway, I might as well begin the story of my Miami eats.

I love Miami and there are many, many, restaurants with vegan options, but one of my favorites is the Pelican. Located in the lobby and on the front porch of Pelican Hotel on Ocean Drive, it's a great place to people watch as well as get to enjoy uber-delicious Italian food. Seeing as how we only come once a year (well, okay, we went twice on this particular vacation), we always get our favorite things. For the husband, that means the gnochhi. I've never bothered to ask if it's vegan since the sauce looks a bit creamy, but he swears it's the best he's ever had and eats it very slowly to make it last. This is not his normal behavior so you know it must be good.

For us vegans (and others too!), I highly recommend getting the fennel salad and the foccacia classico.







Mmmmmm.... This beautiful disc of water and flour dough is brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with the exact right amount of rosemary and sea salt before being topped with a handful of arugula. It's about the most simply delicious thing you ever ate, and even better when you take the salad and dump it on top. The two together are just so good - even the waiters commented on my brilliant plan of attack.

Ok, between the twice daily workouts and the swimming in between, this short blog was about all I have in me right now. I promise to write about more of the Miami eats soon. For now, it's all low fat, no salt, greens-centric fare. Just what the Dr. (Fuhrman) ordered!

No comments: