Monday, June 15, 2009

Firefly Restaurant






I'm finally getting around to crossing restaurants off my "to try" list, and Firefly was right at the top. It's the perfect place to eat with "others" but if you've got a bunch of vegans just know that you'll all be ordering the same thing. That's because they only have one vegan entree on the menu - but hey, that's more than a lot of places, so good for them!





First of all, I love the decor in this restaurant. Whimsical without being weird, it is truly inviting, and I'd go back just to sit at the curved bar and have a glass of wine. We were hungry for way more than bar nibbles though and opted instead for the prix fixe menu. Offered Sun-Thurs nights, diners are invited to choose any appetizer, entree, and dessert for just $35. Considering the quality of the food and service, it's a great deal. But first...

Bread and spread! You know I'm a sucker for free bread, and when paired up with a super yummy chickpea, carrot, and curry spread, I'm all over it. Thank you, Firefly, for being generous in your bread and spread supply. Now, onto the things I actually ordered.

For my first course, I went with the Mixed Baby Lettuce Salad with Pickled Torpedo Onions, Peaches, and Golden Balsamic Vinaigrette. I was a little worried about the onions overpowering things, but there weren't too many of them. Their main function, it seemed, was to enhance the sweetness of the peaches - and boy were they sweet. So so good. My only complaint was that the salad was a tad overdressed for my liking, but the flavor was so on-point that all is forgiven. Next up, my entree:The vegan entree of the day was Roasted Garlic and Wild Nettle 'Farrotto' with Roasted Crimini Mushrooms, Sauteed New Carrots, Dandelion Greens, and Chili Oil. Risotto made with Farro? YUM! I could have eaten this a few times over. The chili oil brought the perfect amount of spice to this dish - just enough to warm your lips by the end - and it paired so well with the savory mushrooms and perfectly cooked farro. My compliments to the chef.

To end the meal, the only dessert offering for vegans was sorbet, but the intense raspberry flavor and cool sweetness was exactly what I needed. All in all, a great meal.

On the other hand, the husband was not so thrilled. He of the potstickers, manicotti, and shortcake, gave a less than enthusiastic "eh" when asked for comment. Don't get me wrong, he had no complaints, it just wasn't his thing. So, if any other "others" are looking for someone to go with, I'm game! I'll even let you try my vegan food. You know you want some...... :)

No comments: