Monday, April 21, 2008

Roti

This may be a bold statement, but I make it without hesitation: Roti Indian Bistro is the best North Indian food in the city. Hands down. I know people love them some Indian Oven and Pakwan, but this place has them both beat. Never greasy, and always using the freshest ingredients, Roti is well worth the trek to West Portal. They use just the right amount of spice, and every time I've been, the servers have been wonderful about the whole vegan thing.

As most vegans know, "ethnic" foods (am I the only one who hates that term??) are often a great place to take their others because there will most likely be vegetarian offerings. Now, with Indian food, you do have to watch out for the ever-present ghee (clarified butter) but simply ask to have your veggie curry cooked with oil instead and it's all good. Also, watch out for the naan because it probably has some animal stuff like milk or eggs in it. Roti (I'm talking about the bread now, not the restaurant) is a good bet as long as you get it without the butter most places slather on.

Anyhoo, Roti the restaurant is a beautiful, warm, and friendly place. Yesterday, I started with the salad because I'm a fennel junky, and this gave me my fix. So good. My hubby ordered eggplant pakoras for his app, but needless to say I ate them as well. Savory warm circles of yum. Those were the only two things I got pictures of (and not very good ones at that) because it was getting dark and I didn't want to use the flash. If you want more, check out the website. Everything really looks as good in person as it does on the site, and tastes even better.

So vegans, drag your other out of that ridiculous line at Indian Oven, and head on over to the quieter side of town. (If gas is the issue, take the M!) Your taste buds will thank you.

3 comments:

Joselle said...

Sounds yummy.

You, Brian and me all hate that term "ethnic," in the context its usually used. I mean, what food isn't ethnic? That you get why it's dumb is just one more reason to love you!

Sky said...

Aw, you make me blush. Here's to everyone being ethnic, damnit!

Suzy Vincent said...

As a "middle-aged white woman" whose maternal grandparents were born in Hungary and Germany, and whose paternal great-grandparents were born in Ireland and England, I agree that the term "ethnic" is overused, abused, and obsolete. And Sky, thank you for making me miss San Francisco even more! This place sounds great :-)