Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentine's Love at Millennium

By now you've probably figured out that there is one place we REALLY like to spend all special occasions (assuming we're here in SF) and that place is, of course, Millennium.  Valentine's Day was no exception, and I think it was one of their finest menus yet (yes, I always think that).  In case you couldn't be there yourself, and to encourage you to go to Millennium for any occasion - special or otherwise - in the future, here's what we had:


Our amuse was a beet tartar with macadamia nut cheese, an orange mustardo and endive spears for scooping.  I will be trying to recreate this at home, and probably not doing it justice at all.  For what appears to be a simple dish is actually so infused with nuanced flavors that it kind of blows my mind.


Next up was this soul-warming cauliflower soup.  The chili oil drizzled on top had a hint of cardamom and the fried shiso leaf added a nice textural dissonance.  Beautiful stuff.


I love me a good salad, and this one was one of the best I've had.  Mizuna greens and toasted edamame mixed perfectly with the slightly spicy dressing. Not to mention it was toped with fried shallots (read: fancy funions!).  I would have been happy to eat another bowl or two of this one.  Luckily, the main course was even better...


I am a sucker for anything in phyllo dough, and this brik pastry full of squash and greens and other incredible magic was simply divine.  Refined, yet homey, I really felt the love in this dish... and that is, after all, the point on Valentine's Day, right?  Well, that and CHOCOLATE:


This dessert was cuh-razy good, y'all.  Salted chocolate layer cake = amazing enough, but with chocolate chipotle ice cream?   I was in heaven.  It was the best way to end our romantic meal, and I'm already looking forward to our next occasion for dining at Millennium.

Have a great post-valentine's weekend, everyone, and stay tuned for more Bay Area eats soon!

No comments: