Saturday, January 28, 2012

Casual Dining in Sydney

We were lucky enough to have had some fantastic high-end meals in Australia, but we also enjoyed some tasty and cheap (well, relatively, considering Australia is hella expensive!) food as we wandered around Sydney. For example, as we strolled along Bondi Beach, we came across the Beach Burrito Company, which advertised "San Francisco Style Burritos." Of course we had to check it out.

Chips, salsa, and guacamole were gobbled up while we waited (a lot longer than we would have in SF) for our burritos. The guac had red pepper flakes on it. Still not sure how I feel about that. In any case.....The burritos finally arrived. To be fair, the place was packed on a sunny Saturday and we were content to relax and let the ocean breeze swirl around us, so no big deal that they took a while.

The burritos themselves were not quite SF quality, but they were tasty enough. My "garden" version was chock full of crunchy veggies, and not nearly enough guacamole, rice, and beans, for my liking. However, the burrito craving I'd been having was satisfied, and the atmosphere was great, so win.


Back down town, we found the best burger place, aptly named Burgerlicious. They have 4 veggie burgers, all of which can be veganized by taking off cheese, if it even comes with any. My inherently vegan "Big Veg" (above) was dressed up with mushrooms, roasted red pepper, avocado, hummus, and beetroot. It was, in fact, this burger that started my love affair with beetroot dip. You can find it all over Australia and it is a mouth watering combination of beets, vinegar, and spices. But I digress.... this burger was so awesome, and the fries (advertised as cooked in 100% vegan cottonseed oil!) were crispy perfection. I wish we had made it back to Burgerlicious so I could have tried the other offerings. Next trip, I suppose.

Up next, some fancy eats in Sydney and beyond. Stay tuned... and have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

No comments: