Thursday, January 26, 2012

Balinese Bites

I'm back! We had an amazing trip to Bali and Australia and I can't wait to share with you some of the delicious eats we had on our journey. Join me as we find ourselves in Seminyak, Bali. Most of the eateries in this town have some vegan offering, but there is a real gem among them all: Zula Vegetarian Paradise. This all-vegan eatery served up some of the best food we ate on our whole trip. While in Seminyak for 4 days, we actually went there 4 times, enjoying breakfast, lunch, and dinner! For proof, here's a photo of each:

Up first, a breakfast of scrambled tofu, steamed greens, and baked pumpkin. That's sage on that pumpkin and it was delicious! So was the tofu. It appeared to be devoid of seasoning but I assure you that was not the case. Seasoned with magic. The perfect way to start the day.

Up next was lunch. This huge salad was topped with some of the tastiest tempeh I ever did have. We heard rumors on our trip that tempeh was invented in Indonesia and while I'm not sure, I believe it. I have never had tempeh as firm and flavorful as I had in Bali, and this salad was no exception. Wish I had some now....

For dinner we split this feast of savory and filling sweet potato soup and I had a Mediterranean plate of falafel, hummus, baba ganoush, tabouleh, pickled vegetables, and this red pepper relish thing that was so insanely good I asked for gobs more. This alone was as good, if not better, than all the Mediterranean places in SF, PLUS the pita was to die for. Light and fluffy and warm. Best pita ever.

Other than a chef who came to cook for me and my 16 friends in Uluwatu, Bali, the rest of our meals here were just sort of meh. Good eats awaited us in Australia though.... so stay tuned!

2 comments:

Joan said...

The salad tempeh looks like it's made up of individual grains, like rice or something. Am I seeing that right? Everything does indeed look delicious!

Sky said...

Well tempeh is just fermented soybeans compressed together so that's probably what you're seeing. This looked like all other tempeh, it just tasted better. :)