Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My New Love, Samovar Tea Lounge

A while ago, there was a Groupon for Samovar Tea Lounge. I scoped the menu online, decided it was vegan-friendly enough and then proceeded to forget all about it. Meanwhile, a vegan friend of mine who is more on top of her game snatched it up, went, and told me all about what I was missing. I was jealous at first, but then happy to know that there is even more good vegan food in San Francisco that I was previously aware of. Plus, it comes with tea!

Needless to say when they ran another Groupon recently, I was on it, and last weekend the husband and I tried it out. That is my incredibly mellow and lovely mint tea, above, which was served as part of their "Moorish Service", easily veganized by switching out the cheese for tofu. Check it out:


Ok these crazy bad phone pics do this food no justice, so forgive me. Next time I'll bring a real camera. Anyhoo, up front you see their super-flavorful marinated tofu over greens with a tarragon vinaigrette. In the middle are the two dishes of roasted eggplant (to make up for the lack of yogurt it normally comes with) and one dish of hummus. The hummus was just alright but the eggplant had a deep and rich smoky flavor I loved. The crackers this meal was served with were also quite tasty, and the meal was rounded out with two mint-stuffed dates. The entire experience - from food to service to ambiance - was just wonderful, and I'm already looking forward to going back and trying some of their other vegan options. To note: I went to the location in Hayes Valley and each outpost has a slightly different menu, so just check online before you go.

In other news, the holidays are closing in like something that closes in really fast, and between my parents visiting and us traveling to Bali and Australia, I may not get to write for a while. I'll still be posting regularly over at Vegan Favorites, though, so stay tuned over there. Here's hoping you have a wonderful holiday season - full of laughter, love, and eating well!


4 comments:

Andrew Bellware said...

Mmm... that looks tasty. I think I'd prefer the roasted eggplant to the yoghurt anyway.
What sort of cheese was replaced with tofu?
Oh great. It's ten o'clock at night and I'm all hungry again.

Sky said...

cheese was halloumi (sp?) i believe. eggplant was so yummy. time for second supper for you!

Andrew Bellware said...

Mmm... halumi (sp?) is hard for me to turn down.
Now I want a nice tagine.
You'd think there'd be more Dominican vegan food. Or vegan places that served vegan Dominican...
Because I would eat all the Dominican food you put in front of me right now...

Sky said...

You need to meet yourself a vegan Dominican. Sounds like a craiglist ad in the making....