Thursday, August 4, 2011

Napa Eats

We headed up to Napa this past weekend for some good wine and sunshine. Of course you gotta eat too, and Napa has some of the best food around. As you know, I am a big fan of Ubuntu, but on this trip, we decided to try some new spots. First up was Michael Chiarello's Bottega. I was psyched to dine here, especially as Chef Chiarello won the vegan challenge on Top Chef Masters. Sadly, I wasn't that impressed by their vegan fare. They also seemed totally taken aback by the vegan request, even though I had noted it on the online reservation AND called to make sure we could be accommodated. Sigh. Anyway, here's what we had:

This heirloom tomato and beet salad was actually delicious. Don't let the hue throw you off. We were underneath the orange awning, making all our food appear reddish. In any case, it was tasty, mainly because it's the height of summer and the ingredients are outstanding.

Our main was a risotto. It was good, but nothing to write home about. Maybe I set my expectations too high? Do I have to be Zooey Deschanel for the Chiarello kitchen to step up the vegan goods?

So, of course, there was sorbet for dessert. The cantaloupe was the best. It's cantaloupe season after all.

The next night, we decided to try to get some better Italian food in our bellies and crossed our fingers as we entered Uva Trattoria. You know what? It was great! My husband got the big bowl of pasta with veggies he was craving (pays for you to have egg-free dry pasta sometimes, Italian restaurants) and I was delighted as well.

I started with a simple but scrumptious veggie pizza topped with arugula. So satisfying after a day of wine tasting! Crisp crust, perfectly roasted veggies and a slightly sweet sauce made for a great dinner.

The raspberry zinfandel sorbet didn't disappoint either. It really packed a wollop of flavor and was a beautiful way to end the meal. Thanks Uva!

Next up, more Bay Area dining, as I've got friends in town and we're eating our way around the Bay....

No comments: