Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Stuck at the Airport

Well, folks, my time in Florida has been elongated, but not in a way I can actually enjoy. The Orlando Airport is no place to spend hours upon hours. I have an electrical outlet though, so I thought I'd give a brief update. Miami was fantastic. So much good food, wine, sun, and sand. It was truly a wonderful vacation. And, boy were we happy that we decided to fly into Ft. Lauderdale so that we could have dinner at Sublime. I was truly blown away by this place. The size alone is breath-taking. I've never dined in a larger vegan-only restaurant... and it was packed! That made me happy, but even better was the food. I would swear on The Joy of Vegan Baking (my bible) that the Sublime Picatta was the best entree I've ever had. Salty, lemony, goodness. The chocolate cake I followed it with paled in comparison. I almost wish I had just ordered more picatta for dessert... :)

As for Miami recommendations, there are a few places that really hit the spot. The first is The Cafe at Books and Books on the Lincoln Road promenade. A very distinct VEGAN section on their menu eliminates all guessing games or substitutions. Good food plus a great selection of books? I was sold. Lido at the Standard Hotel is also good. They are on an island in the bay with great ambiance, and they even have vegan desserts (something I didn't see at any other restaurant in Miami). Unfortunately, I was too full from my grilled tofu with spinach and vegan aioli to try any.

Okay, I'm going to try to use the rest of my airport time to get some walking in, so I leave you with two fond memories of my trip so far: The Sublime Picatta and my toes from my chair at the Ritz, Miami Beach. How I miss them both....












No comments: