Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Dinner at Home

Dinners at nice restaurants are, as you well know, one of my most favorite things in the world. But, since nothing says love like a home-cooked meal, yesterday I donned my apron and cooked my heart out for my husband. The results? A scrumptious feast that I was pretty proud of.... and which I enjoyed devouring almost as much as I enjoyed our fancy dinner Saturday. Almost.

First up we had a simple salad of spinach and arugula topped with a homemade avocado dressing. Basically I blended up an avocado with some salt, pepper, garlic, lime juice and cilantro. Delish and super easy.

The star of the show was Chef Jesse Miner's red posole, which I wrote about HERE (includes recipe). I highly recommend using Rancho Gordo beans, hominy, and chili powder if you make this. It will make all the difference in terms of taste. This dish was seriously yummy, with just the right amount of heat. It's bound become a staple in our house. Thanks Jesse!


Because nothing goes better with a spicy stew than cornbread, and because you can't have a Valentine's Day dinner without some sort of heart reference, these are the cornbread hearts I made. Cute, right? It's amazing what a heart-shaped cookie cutter can do. :)

As for dessert - a vital part of any VDay celebration - you'll have to wait and check out Vegan Favorites tomorrow when I post what I had as my fave of the day. I hope you guys had as wonderful a Valentine's Day/Weekend as I did. Up next? A trip across the bay to revisit some of the best food our area has to offer. Stay tuned!

No comments: