Sunday, January 23, 2011

Orange-Hued Delights

As I mentioned in my last post, I have an awesome friend who invited me over for dinner - dinner which she made using recipes in the "orange" section of Color Me Vegan, Colleen Patrick Goudreau's latest cookbook. The book focuses on the nutrients found in veggies, fruits, grains, nuts and seeds, grouping them by color. This makes for a fun read (who new that there was alpha, as well as beta, carotene?!?) and some deliciously healthy food.

Speaking of which, check out the beautiful Peach Salsa (p.50). I wrote about it over at Vegan Favorites, but the summary is that it's awesome. :) What I didn't tell you over there is that we served this with another orange-colored delight:

Sweet Potato Chips from Food Should Taste Good. These crispy corn tortilla chips have just a hint of sweet potato flavor and are the exact right size for dipping. I'll definitely be getting these bad boys again!

For our entree, we had the flavorful Orange-Glazed Tempeh (p.61). I really liked this recipe a lot, and the suggestion to serve it over sauteed kale is spot on. It adds just the right amount of bitterness to the semi-sweet glaze. This was also super easy to make and just might become a go-to meal in the EWWO house.

For dessert, my pal deviated from Color Me Vegan, but kept the "orange" theme with this pumpkin pie. She also kept the Colleen Patrick Goudreau theme, using a recipe from her earlier book (and my sweet tooth's favorite!), The Joy of Vegan Baking (p.104). I am ashamed to admit I've never made a pumpkin pie, even though it is one of my favorite desserts of all time. However, this pie may just get me out of my lazy pants. It was divine, and a wonderful ending to our meal.

Up next? I'm off to Palo Alto this afternoon for some fun family time and with high hopes for what appears to be a vegan-friendly restaurant. Fingers crossed... full report to follow. Meanwhile, enjoy the rest of your weekend, y'all.

No comments: