Friday, September 12, 2008

Cupcakes are Go(o)d

Okay, so there was one thing I was pretty unhappy about at Frisee: A complete lack of vegan dessert. They played nice and offered some fruit, but I wasn't feeling it. Luckily, I was sated and happy enough to linger with my cup of decaf. Then, as I was happily strolling back to my car, I remembered that Harvest Ranch Market, a mere one block from Frisee, carried the infamous Black China Bakery Cupcake. I walked in, spotted them, and then continued to walk around the store in contemplation. You see, these cupcakes are like whole meals - the icing alone is an instant cavity, and the experience of eating one, in my opinion, must be prepared for both physically (starvation) and mentally ("Okay, body, here comes a serious sugar surge and crash!). So, while I eyeballed them for a while, I knew I didn't have it in me. I mean, just look at the picture. So rich, so dense, and so they are my favorite for today even though I haven't had one in a while. One of these days I'll get down to the actual bakery in Santa Cruz to have one super-fresh style... and then not eat the whole rest of the day. :)


My stop at Harvest was not a total loss however: I discovered that Field Roast, a soy-free veggie company, makes Italian Sausages. I haven't tried them yet, but I hope they become a favorite in the near future. Stay tuned.

No comments: